Here is a (partial) list of some really stupid state laws that are on the books in New York State.
1. A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking “at a woman in that way.” A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a “pair of horse-blinders” wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
2. It is against the law to throw a ball at someone’s head for fun.
3. A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.
4. The penalty for jumping off a building is death!
5. A person may not walk around on Sundays with a ice cream cone in his or her pocket.
6. While riding in an elevator, one must talk to no one, and fold his hands while looking toward the door.
7. Slippers are not to be worn after 10pm.
And in New York City, citizens may not greet each other by “putting one’s thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers.”